What are the reasons behind the slowdown in trade in the past decade, and what role do changes in global value chains play?
- Causes of the global trade slowdown (slow GDP, transition to services economies, and higher value chain contributions from emerging markets)
- Is the recent recovery cyclical or permanent?
- Can changes in global value chains play a role in limiting global trade? For example, what is the role of technological change, transportation costs, and risk assessments in the integration (or defragmentation) of GVCs?
- What is the outlook for GVCs in the future? What is the outlook for the fragmentation/ defragmentation of international production?
- What do changes in global value chains mean for trade agreements?
Expert Briefings are an exclusive benefit for members of The Conference Board.REQUEST AN EXPERT BRIEFING