The Global Trade Slowdown and the Role of Global Value Chains
What are the reasons behind the slowdown in trade in the past decade, and what role do changes in global value chains play?
- Causes of the global trade slowdown (slow GDP, transition to services economies, and higher value chain contributions from emerging markets)
- Is the recent recovery cyclical or permanent?
- Can changes in global value chains play a role in limiting global trade? For example, what is the role of technological change, transportation costs, and risk assessments in the integration (or defragmentation) of GVCs?
- What is the outlook for GVCs in the future? What is the outlook for the fragmentation/ defragmentation of international production?
- What do changes in global value chains mean for trade agreements?
Expert Briefings are an exclusive benefit for members of The Conference Board.REQUEST AN EXPERT BRIEFING